A Glimpse of the Glover's

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sports is Life

Our little Soccer Players

Dex is for sure the MVP of his team.  Watching 4 year olds play soccer is hilarious, but he takes it pretty serious!  this boy has some mad soccer skills

First time at bat for the season.  He was pretty nervous since it has been a few years since he has played baseball.  He will get the hang of it soon enough I have no doubt considering he hit one over the first time the team practiced.  He def has it in him and his coach was pretty impressed!

Coach Tebbs giving the team instructions.  He has been so good to work with Parker and the rest of these boys.  They have only been playing together for 2 months and they took 2nd in this tournament. Parker is doing AWESOME and loves playing

Kenna, Ash, Brooke, and Rinn... They were exhausted from a long day of shopping and not getting much sleep the night before.  I love Kenna's friends
I have to throw this in because I feel like Parker and I had an experience at his basketball tournament this weekend that I want him and the rest of our kids to remember.  We are definitely a "sports" family.  We love all sports and encourage our kids to play any and all that the can.  Jerry grew up in a family that this was a huge part of their lives and so did I.  Some of our best childhood memories are all the hours we spent part of a team. So of course we want that same thing for our kids. Sports to us is not just about being the best, or scoring the most points, or even winning (even though all of that is a bonus).  Sports builds confidence, teaches you hard work, teamwork, respect, gives you a sense of belonging, and many other things that you can't learn from anything else.  I was pretty disappointed this weekend when we were at Parkers Basketball tournament in St George.  Sadly some of the parents and one of our players did not display what I would like to call "Good Sportsmanship" at all.  It reminds me of a quote I heard "Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself"  We ended up winning our game, but I would not say that we were the "Winners"... Not something I want to get into details about on our blog, but something that reminded me just what sports was all about.  It did make me extra proud of Parker because he always shows good sportsmanship and I was reminded of that.   He respects his coach, the refs, his team, and the other players.  I hope he always does.  We talked about it on the way home and he was even embarrassed by how his teammate and parents were acting.  He knows it is unacceptable and I am proud of him for the person he is on and off the court.  I hope he always remembers to show class, have pride, and display character... That is what sports is all about!

2 comments:

Jana Sorensen said...

Amen, sister. I love what playing athletics has taught me and I hope that I can instil some of the same qualities in my own children as well. I am glad and proud of Parker for having sportmanship too:) I hope that I can always remember that I don't want to be "one of those parents" that you were talking about. I really hope I am not too crazy. You've got some pretty adorable Athletes, (not sure if you count shopping as a sport, it probably is in some cultures:) But McKenna is adorable at whatever she does :) Keep it up on your blog, love seeing what you guys have been up to. Love ya!

McCleary Family Fun said...

I am so glad you have this blog. You are a busy woman, and I love how you take care of your family. great advice, and learning experience at the ballgame it sounds. Hope your summer is perfect.